Different studies have shown that one-half to two-thirds of people are living paycheck-to-paycheck. That is a pretty alarming statistic! This can be explained in part by the results of the current economy, our own attitudes about money, and the lack of adaption to a changing world.
Change Your Attitude
The place to begin is with your mindset. Regarding paycheck-to-paycheck living, you may well think that “it’s just the way things are” or “everybody’s doing it”, both of which are untrue. Keeping these attitudes will ensure that you will never improve your situation.
Take a little time to think about what got you into your current situation. In an article from Celebrating Financial Freedom entitled “4 Steps to Escape the Paycheck to Paycheck Life for Good”, the author identifies the following damaging mind and behavior impediments to financial health.
• You Have Concluded That Debt Is Just A Part of Life – Contrary to what some may think, you do not have to be in debt to survive in today’s world. You must decide to make paying off your liabilities your number one priority!
• Luxuries Have Turned Into Needs – Certain luxuries like cable TV, an expensive car, and eating out often have evolved from extras into necessities. These extras will bleed your budget.
• You Are Not Earning Enough – You might be underemployed and making too little effort to maximize your work situation.
• You Are Overspending – You also might be spending more than you make, a common trap for some people. This needs to be controlled.
• You Have No Plan – Basically, you spend your money until it is depleted having no idea where it goes. You really need a plan.
• Money Is So Easy To Spend – Those credit cards feel so easy to swipe and sign—it doesn’t quite feel like cash. Yet it is, and then comes the interest.